Dear Students, Families and Community Members,
On behalf of the faculty and staff at HCPA, it is my pleasure to welcome you and your student to the 2016-17 school year! It is an honor to continue in my role as grades 6-12 Director of Teaching and Learning. My number one goal this year is to support your child by ensuring a rigorous curriculum and an encouraging learning community.
Here are some highlights and updates for the 2016-17 school year:
- Chromebooks: We have replaced Kunos with Chromebooks and each child will have one to use both within and outside of school. We piloted Chromebooks last year in a few grade levels and found more success with its interface and compatibility with our online curricula. Students will continue to have access to hot spots for wi-fi when not on campus.
- Schoology: Schoology is an online learning management system that allows teachers to create, manage and share content and resources. Visually it is similar to popular social networking sites and, as a result, is user friendly. Schoology also offers reports that allow you and I to see your child’s classroom success on individual state standards so that we may tailor instruction for each student’s needs.
- Benchmark and Grading Policy: We will continue to implement our benchmark and grading policy so that a significant portion of each student’s grade represents their mastery of learning of state standards.
You are an integral part of your child’s learning community, and these are some ways you can support your child’s education:
- Join us for these important dates this fall:
Student Orientation – August 23
Parent-Teacher Conferences – October 18 and 19
- Set aside time and a quiet space for homework: each night, students should dedicate about 10 minutes per grade level for homework; for example, you should expect this amount of homework per night: 8th graders should dedicate about 80 minutes per night;
- In addition to homework, set aside time to read for fun each night; and
- Check your child’s grades on PowerSchool.
Thank you for your partnership. I look forward to an exciting year and continued growth.