Meeting the Needs of Our Community
- Founded by Christianna Hang, Pao Yang, and co-founded by parents, educators and community leaders.
- Planning began in the year 2000 and by December, 2002, Hmong Academy was approved by the MDE for a K-12 charter.
- September, 2004, Hmong Academy opened its doors to 200 students in grades 9-10.
- HCPA began to meet the needs of high potential students and those who fell through the cracks and were not successful within the traditional public, private and home school systems.
Since 2004, HCPA has undertaken three expansion projects to better serve our students and their families:
- In 2006, HCPA moved from Minneapolis to its current facility in St. Paul. A $10 million bond was secured to acquire the Brewster Street site.
- January, 2009, Board adopted new name: Hmong College Prep Academy .
- 2009 - $150,000 facility grant from MDE and $1.5 million improvement to the Middle School wing.
- In 2009, enrollment increased to over 550 students in grades 4-12.
- 2010-2011, the school added grades K – 3.
- 2012 - $18.5 million bond to conduct Phase Three renovation of existing structure & building the new high school.
- 2017-18 enrollment forecast of 1,200 students was achieved in 2014.